Sitemap
Home >
About Us > Town Timeline
Tools :
The Town School Logo Link email page print page small type large type
About UsHow Children Learn BestAdmissionsCommunitySupport Town


Town Timeline

In the early 1900s, Hazel Hyde envisioned an early childhood school based on the idea that the elementary years provide the foundation for all future learning.  With this belief in mind, and with a little coaxing from friends, Miss Hyde set out to open a school that would provide an optimal learning environment for young students.  In 1913 Miss Hyde’s School opened its doors on East 81st Street as a nursery school for 20 girls and boys.               

Almost 100 years later, although the name and location are different, The Town School remains committed to elementary co-education.  It now serves 400 students in Nursery 3 through 8th grade.

A brief timeline of Town’s history

1913

Miss Hazel Hyde founds The Town School (then called Miss Hyde’s School) on E. 81st Street as a nursery school for 20 girls and boys.

1925

School moves to 114 E. 76th Street

1936

Miss Hyde resigns.  School changes name to The Town School and is run by the “Second Founders,” with Harriette Young as President and Margaret Crane and Lois Wright as Co-Directors.

1943

Tuition assistance becomes an established school practice.

1945

School purchases 114 E. 76th Street and acquires two adjoining brownstones in 1950 and 1959.

1951

Parents’ Association organized, 100 students are enrolled.

1962

Town’s first 8th Grade class graduates.

1963

In search of more space, Town moves into new building at 540 E. 76th Street.  

1968

Construction begins on addition to implement plan to double enrollment by mid-70s.

1978

A growing Town still needs more space. The school acquires and begins construction on two-story factory building south of school, expanding the school footprint to 75th Street.

1985

School sells air rights, increases space and establishes an endowment.

1996

Town embarks upon a capital campaign to reconfigure internal spaces.

1999

Dedication of new library and technology center.  375 students are enrolled.

2000

Summerbridge, now Breakthrough New York, joins Town.  This program provides enrichment and support for talented, underserved New York City public middle school students.

2004

Town hires its first Director of Diversity, a position created to help define and achieve the school’s diversity goals and to foster communication within the Town community about diversity issues.

2006

Strategic plan work leads Town to create a new position, Curriculum Coordinator, to help unify curriculum across all grades and keep the school’s program moving forward.  396 students are enrolled.

2007

Town becomes charter member of GSA (Green School Alliance) and pledges to reduce its carbon footprint over the next five years.

2008

Walter W. Birge theater completely renovated.

2009

Solar Panels installed to power Lower and Upper School science classrooms, reducing Town's dependence on the energy grid

2010

Lower School classrooms and technology center completely renovated during summer break.  

2011

Nursery/Kindergarten Wing and play roofs completely renovated during summer break

2012

Installation of first wind turbine in a New York City school

2013

Town celebrates its 100th Anniversary on June 13, 2013.
Heads of School
1913    Miss Hazel Hyde, founder

1936     “Second Founders” with Harriette Young as President and Margaret Crane and Lois Wright as Co-Directors

1964    John W. Suter Jr.

1965    Frederick C. Calder

1970    Walter W. Birge, III

1980    Gillian duCharme

1986    Mary Newmann

1993    Joyce Gregory Evans

2003    Christopher Marblo

2012    Anthony G. Featherston IV



1962 faculty photo includes ‘second founders’ from left:   Lois Wright, Harriette Young and (far right) Margaret Crane.

 

East 76th Street, viewed from the East River, 1961

 

540 East 76th Street, 1962

 


© 2010 The Town School   |   540 East 76th Street   |   New York, New York 10021   |   212.288.4383   |   Privacy Policy   |   Town Today  
powered by finalsite